Tuesday 14 September 2010

Eureka!

So today, while having a look around some other weight loss blogs (I never knew there were so many out there!) I was struck by the fact that all of the blogs that I've found are of women who have had a few children and have struggled to get the weight back off after. I wish that there were someone who was more my age, because I feel like all the other blog writers have a connection with each other in that they are all married with children and I'm just a fat 19 year old.. lol! That said, I definitely found exactly the type of stuff that I've been looking for- and it's always so good hearing that other people can relate to exactly how you feel, regardless of differences in age or lifestyle! I read a blog post from a woman called Lyn called "Where I Was". She spoke about a moment where she saw a picture of herself wearing an ill-fitting outfit and it made her cry, making her decide to lose her weight once and for all. Looking at her before and after pictures, my jaw dropped! She's looking absolutely terrific and judging by the words in her post she's feeling the same way, and that's such an inspiration to me. The past few days I've been worrying about whether I'm going to be able to go through with this diet or not. I have to wait until I'm back in the UK to start it because a consultant from the Cambridge Weight Plan has to come and give me my week supply of food and weigh me etc. but I've found myself feeling sceptical of my enthusiasm for weight loss saying 'let's see how I feel when I'm starving and hallucinating chicken legs as peoples' heads like in the cartoons'. Seeing pictures and reading the words of people who have made that change, who have gone through that struggle of wanting to say 'f*** it, hand me another muffin' and have ignored it because of the good that it will cause in the long run, that's what helps me realise that if it doesn't work it will have been because I chose not to let it work. I need to stop doubting myself and start believing that this weight loss is possible no matter what! Especially when I see the results of people who are working with much higher hurdles than I am- I'm not nearly obese, just overweight and at great risk of developing diabetes and high blood pressure (thanks, genes!). It's time I start ignoring that sceptical part of my mind and start listening to the honest truth- that this can be done!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the pre-kids fat thing! I was 260lbs at by age 20 and now I'm 27 but still without kids or a husband or anything. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who is just fat without any excuses at all!

I urge you to really do this right the first time, doing it again a second time sucks! It makes me remember that if I hadn't regained a lot of the weight I'd be a goal for almost 5 years now!

What is the Cambridge plan?

Ronkidonks said...

Hey lady!

I'm glad I found your blog. I am (relatively) young, no kids...and there are some other ladies on bloger that I'm sure you'll be able to relate to.

Also there are some other women who have some great success stories, and advice that you can benefit from (even if their mode of weight loss is different from yours).

I'm going to post your blog on mine and hopefully you'll get some traffic. I know how much some kind words of encouragement or advice can help in this process.

I look forward to reading your blog mama!

http://youngblackandbanded.blogspot.com/

Vagabonds Mercantile said...

Well I do have kids but I don't blame them for my fat. My blog is not about my kids or my family it's about me feeling empowered to change my own life.

Some days I wanna say F it and eat the donuts but most days I think about how that made me feel and how it wasn't working for me.

The first few weeks of any diet are the hardest but blogging can help a lot with that.

Pamela E. Williams said...

Hi there. I found your blog from Ronke. I am following you and I suggest this young lady who is close to your age and was just banded about a month ago. Her name is Alycejo at http://myrescueispossible.blogspot.com/.

alycejo said...

Hey doll
Thanks for following me :)
Love seeing people my age on here

Oh and thanks Pam for recommending me!!

Good luck hun. I'm newly banded so I havent had much experience yet, but if you ever need to chat just pop over to my page!

Amanda Kiska said...

I was banded in February and have lost 80 lbs. Check out my blog: http://amandakiska.blogspot.com

I follow a lot of blogs and here are a few of the "younger" ladies that do not have kids:

Grace: http://graces-fat-chance.blogspot.com/

Jess: http://jaeworldizin.blogspot.com/2010/09/face-shot.html

Meli: http://lovemelimeli.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-my-husband-said.html

Mary: http://maryannchange.blogspot.com/

DiZneDiVa said...

I am not young but I have no kids and I have been fat since high school... I was banded in March 2010 and I have lost 85 pounds... So that is turning around for me. I wish I did this sooner so I could live my life to the fullest and not have waited until I had diabetes, high-blood pressure, high cholestrial, acid-reflux, and sleep apnea... but I am off all my pills and am so much healthier now. You are smart to do something before your health deteriorates. Ronke sent me over... *Maria*-blogger for "This one time at BAND Camp..." Follow my journey at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

ettible said...

My best friend and I are in our 20s and are having the same problem finding people our own age who are living the same sort of lives we are!

We're doing a low-carb diet, so I'm not sure all of the posts will apply to you, but we also talk about dieting in general a lot.

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

I was a pre kid fatty, and I wish I had the sense you do to take action NOW and not when your almost 30 (ouch u said that outloud). I am a new follower and look forward to see what the future holds for u

Melting Candy said...

Your last statement is so True..... This can be done!!!

And know that you found a group of people that will support you no matter what their life style, age, or family life consist of.

I know this 30year old plans to encourage the hell out of ya (=